Monday, June 27, 2011

I have been in England for four days now. Oxford is beautiful, some of its buildings built as early as the 1300s. We are currently staying about a 20 minutes walk from the 38 Oxford colleges but will be moving into Jesus College on Sunday, located at the heart of the university. Then we will really be able to experience Oxford college life! Right now, I am staying in a picturesque cottage covered with trailing vines. The garden is beautiful as well, with paths winding through flowering plants and bushes and a small grassy area in the middle where I currently sit at a small lawn table, writing this blog entry. The only drawback is that the inside of the cottage is damp and musty and I am apparently allergic to something in the air, resulting in constant sneezing and a hacking cough. However, we are only here for a week, and despite the allergies, I am enjoying staying in such a charming location. Today, we took a tour through Oxford and even went inside one of the colleges. It was fascinating to learn a bit about Oxford's history and to see the inside of some of these ancient structures. The ceiling of the Sheldonian theatre could be a mini replica of St. Peter's cathedral, and the stained glass windows in the Queen's College chapel are breathtaking. Unfortunately, my battery charger to my camera is missing, so I wasn't able to get any pictures. I hope to rectify the situation as quickly as possible, so I can post some pictures on this site. Tomorrow is an induction ceremony at the Bodleian library where we will receive library cards that will gives us access to Oxford's libraries. I have most of the books I need for my independent research already, but it will be useful for the group research and a quiet place to study.

No comments:

Post a Comment